Universities Offering Medical Laboratory Science in Nigeria: Medical laboratory science (MLS), also known as clinical laboratory scientist (CLS), is a healthcare profession that requires its practitioners to carry out diagnostic analysis of chemical, hematological, immunologic, histopathological, cytopathological, microscopic, and bacteriological examining body fluids or specimens such as blood, urine, sputum, stool, cerebrospinal fluid (CSF), peritoneal fluid, pericardial fluid, synovial fluid, amongst others.
Based on the training medical laboratory scientists receive, they work in clinical laboratories at hospitals, reference laboratories, biotechnology labs, and non-clinical industrial laboratories.
Depending on the school, Medical Laboratory Science is similar to Science Laboratory Technology (SLT). In the field of medical and health sciences, Medical Laboratory Science is the third most sought-after course after Medicine and Pharmacy.
In Nigeria, the admission requirement for studying Medical Laboratory Science is almost the same in all schools except for the Joint Admission and Matriculation Board (JAMB) cut-off mark and Direct Entry.
There are about forty-three federal, state, and private universities in Nigeria that award degrees in the various fields under Medical Laboratory Science.
For the Senior Secondary Certificate Examination (SSCE), the requirement is at least credit level passes in at least six subjects including English, Mathematics, Chemistry, and Physics. Also, a candidate for admission is expected to be at least sixteen years old.
Best Universities to Study Medical Laboratory Science in Nigeria
1. Adeleke University Ede (AUE)
This is a privately-run university situated in Ede, Osun State. AUE admits candidates for Medical Laboratory Science through JAMB UTME and Direct Entry.
2. Ambrose Alli University (AAU)
AAU is a state-owned institution situated in Ekpoma, Edo state. The university also admits candidates into the department of Medical Laboratory Science through JAMB UTME and Direct Entry.
AAU also accepts B.Sc in the relevant program with good grades. Remedial results are not acceptable.
3. Abia State University (ABSU)
ABSU is among state-owned universities in Nigeria that offers Medical Laboratory Science. The university admits MLS aspirants every admission year through JAMB UTME and Direct Entry.
4. Ahmadu Bello University (ABU)
ABU is a federal government research university in Zaria, Kaduna State, Nigeria. The university also admits candidates into the department of Medical Laboratory Science through JAMB UTME.
For direct entry, ‘A-Level/IJMB passes in Physics, Chemistry and Biology or Zoology or any registered Medical Laboratory Certificate is can be considered for admission.
Also, a degree (First/Second Class Upper) in related fields or a minimum of Merit Pass in the National Certificate of Education (NCE), National Diploma (ND), and Advanced Level Certificates are acceptable.
5. Afe Babalola University (ABUAD)
This is a private university located in Ado-Ekiti, Ekiti State, Nigeria. It was founded by a lawyer and philanthropist, Afe Babalola, in 2009.
The university also admits candidates into the department of Medical Laboratory Science through JAMB UTME, but it does not admit via direct entry.
6. Bayero University Kano (BUK)
This university accepts students for Medical Laboratory Science through JAMB UTME and Diploma in Medical Laboratory Science from a recognized institution.
7. University of Benin (UNIBEN)
UNIBEN accepts degrees in related Science programs or JAMB UTME.
8. University of Calabar (UNICAL)
This University considers ‘A-Level passes in any two (2) of Chemistry, Biology, and Physics, B.SC Biological Science; Associate of Institute of Medical Laboratory Technology (AIMLT) or Fellow of Institute of Medical Laboratory Technology (FIMLT) plus JAMB UTME requirements.
9. Ebonyi State University (EBSU)
This state-owned university considers Associate of Institute of Medical Laboratory Technology (AIMLS) or its equivalent and relevant UTME requirements.
10. University of Ibadan (UI)
The University of Ibadan accepts ‘A-Level passes in Physics, Chemistry and Biology B.Sc. or HND in the relevant program; AIMLT or FIMLT plus UTME requirements.
11. University of Jos (UNIJOS)
This University accepts a first degree in relevant any life science course with a minimum of Second class lower division.
12. University of Lagos (UNILAG) requires Joint Universities Preliminary Examination Board (JUPEB) or ‘A’ -level passes in Physics, Chemistry, and Biology. B.Sc. (First class/Second class upper) in any related medical field to study Medical Laboratory Science in Nigeria.
13. Lagos State University of Technology (LAUTECH) accepts ‘A-Level passes in Chemistry and Biology with the JAMB UTME requirements or ND/HND upper credit or first degree in a relevant program in addition to the JAMB UTME requirements.
14. University of Maiduguri (UNIMAID) accepts the certificate of the Institute of Medical Laboratory Technology, Science/Technology (IMLS/T) of Nigeria and the JAMB UTME requirements.
15. Niger Delta University (NDU) requires five (5) ‘O’ Level credit passes in English Language, Mathematics, Chemistry, Biology, and Physics.
16. Rivers State University of Technology (RSUST):
For admission into year three, HND (Upper Credit) in any relevant field is acceptable. For admission to year two; HND (Lower Credit) or OND/ND (Upper Credit) with “A” Level passes in Chemistry and Biology in any relevant field is acceptable.
In addition, aspiring candidates above must also satisfy the JAMB UTME entry requirements.
17. European University Institute (EUI) accepts ‘A-Level passes in Physics, Chemistry, and Biology or Zoology in addition to UTME requirements. B.Sc. in any relevant field not below Second Class Lower Division is also accepted.
Ordinary National Diploma (OND) or Higher National Diploma (HND) in related courses with an Upper Credit plus ‘O’ Level entry requirement can also be considered.
18. University of Nigeria Nsukka (UNN) is the first indigenous university in Nigeria. Established in 1955 in Nsukka, Enugu, it admits students into the MLS program through UTME and Direct Entry. B.Sc in relevant programs with at least second 2nd class Lower Division plus ‘O’ Level credit passes in English Language, Mathematics, Biology, Chemistry and Physics at not more than two (2) sittings is also considered for.
Other requirements include:
- ND upper credit in related programmes plus the UTME requirements.
- Candidates with AIMLS professional plus the UTME requirements.
19. Nnamdi Azikiwe University (UNIZIK) accepts HND/B.SC in Biological Sciences or related program for direct entry plus JAMB UTME.
20. Imo State University (IMSU) accepts the certificate of the Institute of Medical Laboratory Technology, Science/Technology (IMLS/T) of Nigeria plus the UTME requirements.
- Apply to Universities with No Application Fees in Canada 2022
- 2022 Fully Funded Canadian Government Scholarships – Apply Now
- Best Scholarships in Canada for International Students 2022
Frequently Asked Questions
What is the cut off mark for Medical Laboratory Science?
The cut-off mark of Medical Laboratory Science according to the management of the Joint Admission and Matriculation Board (JAMB) is 280 and above for the 2022/2023 academic session.
Which university is best for studying Medical Laboratory Science?
The University of Benin (UNIBEN), University of Calabar (UNICAL), University of Ibadan (UI), University of Jos (UNIJOS), and University of Lagos (UNILAG) are among the best universities to study Medical Laboratory Science.
How many years course is Medical Laboratory Science in Nigeria?
Medical Laboratory Science is a 5-year course of study in Nigeria for Joint Matriculation entry candidates and 4 years for direct entry candidates.
Does Unilorin offer Medical Laboratory Science?
Yes, Unilorin offers Medical Laboratory Science. You will need three (3) other JAMB UTME subject combinations of Physics, Chemistry, and Biology to study Medical Laboratory Science under the Faculty of Basic Medical Sciences at the University of Ilorin (UNILORIN).